Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Wedding Videographer's Wardrobe

Who doesn't stand in front of the closet, trying on clothes, only to throw them in a giant heap on the closet floor? I spent many a wedding Saturday doing just that. I came up with the following "uniform" so I have more time to sip my coffee while packing my camera bags.

I have to be very strategic about what to wear all the way from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. A few fun caveats are thrown in there as well including summertime heat and the fact that I'm a nursing mother (TMI?).

Let me walk you down the list:

Glasses. So I can see road signs as I'm driving across the city with my hazard lights on, parking in no-parking zones and hastily throwing camera bags in and out of the car during portrait time.

Hair. Pinned up and out of the way in case of wind, sweat, or rain. The last thing I need is a flock of hair blocking my view as I'm trying to focus.

Shirt. It's sleeveless and dark-colored so you don't see me sweat as I'm running across the field with bags and gear strapped to my back. (For nursing moms: it also has easy access for whenever I can find time to squat in the bathroom and pump - usually during dinner).

Skirt. So my legs can breathe. It's also lined so again, you don't see me sweat. The only problem is, filming requires unique angles and not-so-ladylike positions to get those angles (i.e. squatting). Then comes...

Shorts. It's a two-fold bonus really. I can crouch, squat and lay on the ground as much as I like without flashing anyone AND it provides an extra layer for, you guessed it, the result of those HOT summer days.

Shoes. I wear flats because I can run faster in them. They're also very quiet so I can sneak around like a little church mouse.

So, never fear. I will show up to your wedding looking cool, calm, collected and classy.

2 comments:

  1. Love the diagram! You always look do put together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah =) It's a work in progress. I need to get back to working on my teacher dress so I can start wearing that when I film.

      Delete