Thursday, December 6, 2012

Photograph Your Newborn in 2 Easy Steps

Hello Peeps!

Hubby and I welcomed our first little fox to the troop on November 3rd and she's been such entertainment ever since. Here's just one entertaining story so far...

The fox was merely a week old and I had the brilliant idea to take photos like all the gorgeous naked, posed baby photos you see floating around Facebook. I cranked up the heat, set out some props, stripped the little fox to her bare little baby bum, wrapped her in a blanket in case she leaked, and handed her to Daddy.

You can tell by the photo that we had absolutely no idea what we were doing. We're first time parents after all, not yet knowing if the poor thing's head is going to roll off her neck if we don't hold her just-so. As I snapped photos with my fancy camera, she screamed and cried, even reaching that high shrill that only the most talented of babies can reach.

Dumfounded that she wasn't sleeping peacefully like the babies in all the photos I've seen, I wrapped her in the blanket she had just thoroughly soaked with pee and handed her back to Daddy. The logical conclusion was try, try, try again. Here's where it all hit the fan. Simultaneously, Daddy and I start to sweat because the house is now a sauna, Daddy's phone rings, he reaches for it with his free hand while holding the pee-soaked blanket containing our shrill fox - and the icing on the cake - the baby poops, all over Daddy. And screams and cries.

That last bit applies to us all. A full-blown meltdown ensued with me and the little fox sitting on the floor bawling our eyes out and Daddy covered in poo. And all I have is this lousy photo to show from it.

Step 1: Hire a professional to take newborn photos

Especially if this is your first child. You have way too much going on and no matter how much of a Wonder Woman you think you will be, expect the unexpected and let an outside source pamper you and your baby the way you should be pampered. You'll thank me for it.

Step 2: Keep your phone handy

Some of my favorite photos I have of our little fox are taken with my phone (like this awesome one on the left - totally Anne Geddes, don't you think?). It's so easy to snap photos here and there with my phone (which I have by my side so I can time feedings anyway). It's candid, it's natural, it's stress-free!

It gives you more freedom to play around with things like poses, framing, and lighting because all you have to do is sit there and cuddle your little spawn. Your finger on the button does the rest. If you haven't heard it enough from your family and friends, let yourself relax! Take advantage of this time to just be with your baby! I wish I had taken that advice. It's the only time you'll get to have an excuse to just...be. Your baby will go through a million different expressions in a fraction of a second, so you can easily sit there and capture each one while you're doing what you do best - being a Mom.


Secret Step 3: Stay tuned

I'm going to post my phone pictures, and I encourage you to do the same! I want to see your babies! I post phone photos here and if you'd like to contribute, send your favorites to me on Facebook! I'll also write about how to make the most of using whatever camera you have handy to take meaningful photos of your newborn.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post! LOL! And you guys have taken some amazing photos!!! I love the tips--excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned it's not easy to get good pictures of children, let alone babies. And newborn babies at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both sure know what it can be like between kids and nieces/nephews! There seem to be new things at each stage to keep you on your toes...I'll have to figure out what to do once she starts moving around lots. =)

    ReplyDelete