Friday, October 12, 2012

Featurette: Rob and Katie


I've been challenged to ask the question "Why?" in my work. Why did I take that shot? Why did I make that cut in editing? Asking ourselves the big "Why?" question adds a whole layer of depth to what we do.

Todd and I got to know Rob and Katie when we took a walk and talked with them for their engagement film. During our walking and talking, I took note of the depth of Rob and Katie's relationship, especially once they really started to open up about what they appreciate most about each other (I have an exlusive photo of my actual notes as bona-fide evidence). When I got to spend a whole day with them for the wedding, I saw that depth amplified.

So, here's my answer to the "Why's?" for their Featurette. It became quickly apparent that family and friends meant the world to Rob and Katie, so I focused on tying those connections in with the relationship they had built with each other. Sure, we had talked about (and I have personally witnessed) the most awesome candy and cookie tables that span the length of entire walls. And sure, we had such a fun time crashing the local Italian street festival on their wedding day, but you won't see that in their Featurette.

Why?

Because as sweet and fun as they are, cookies and festivals are a small part of who they are. It belongs in their full Feature Film to help tell the full story, but not here.

The next-to-last shot lingers for a while. My hope is that it truly hits home the message of who Rob and Katie are as a couple. Think of each and every person they pass as they walk down the aisle. It's a long aisle. There are a lot of people. And I know why.

1 comment: