Monday, August 13, 2012

Filming and Early Pregnancy

The morning after we went in for that first doctor's appointment informing us that, indeed, there was a little beating pea in there (and there was only one...and it was firmly implanted just where it needed to be, not floating out in my nether regions like a little lost sheep), my body and my mind were in agreement. I was pregnant.

Once the body and mind started talking, they hatched a cruel plan. Just like something out of a Marvel movie where the alien villains scheme for imminent destruction of the entire earth. My internal villains decided I would roll out of bed and immediately feel the urge to vomit. Each and every day for 8 weeks. I woke up to it and fell asleep to it. Rice cakes and yogurt became my frenemies and only mealtime acquaintances. By the time the nausea finally subsided, I figured I would be just as sick if I ever saw another rice cake again. In. my. life.

It was early spring and the filming world was blossoming. I was out 3 evenings a week filming lacrosse games (more like dodging balls) for a few hours at a time and weekends were beginning to fill with 8-10 hour days of shooting for weddings. I didn't know how I was supposed to hide this from my clients or anyone else for that matter (it was still "Top Secret" news).

To pull off the "I can carry all my equipment, run to and fro, and still look like a hundred bucks" appearance, here is my advice for you other lovely early pregnancy shooters out there.



Rice cakes, Cheez-it's, granola bars, and Preggie Pops (or any type of Vitamin C drop) were my best friends that came with me EVERYWHERE. Halftime at lacrosse games consisted of me choking down whatever dry food I had and then carrying hard candy (keeping my extra batteries and compact flash cards company in my pockets) during gameplay. I nibbled and kept my pouch full - like a mouse-kangaroo.

Smile. Nod. And nibble. That was the only way to stay looking professional. I learned the hard way when out filming lacrosse one cold, rainy afternoon after filming interviews all morning (without thinking of eating lunch). I about passed out from lack of nutrition. Trying to monitor gameplay amidst seeing stars and crouching to conserve energy was not the way to go. Oh, no. I wish I had a picture to show you of me in my long winter coat, hood pulled up around my face, sickly white complexion, squatting down amidst cheering parents and trying to operate the camera with my frozen fingers. A sight for sore eyes, I'm sure!

Sometimes I felt like I brought more food than actual equipment, but that's what us momma's got to do. Filming is quite physically demanding, and a growing creature to sap all my available nutrients means I have to stay on top of things even more. I'll be sharing more tidbits I've learned from each trimester of pregnancy (and divulging my embarrassing stories) over the next few posts. It's a whole new frontier!

No comments:

Post a Comment