Tuesday, November 1, 2011

De-Cluttering

One would think 2 TERAbytes of external hard drive space would be enough storage to last well until a newer technology is incorporated. Not so, my friend. Especially when dealing with video files. I recently discovered that an average wedding will rack up at least 100 GB of raw footage and the finished product will add another 20-30 GB once exported. I was coming to the end of myself, or the end of usable space on my hard drive.

Here's a little secret, which hopefully doesn't come back to byte (get it, "byte"...ha ha ha) me in the long run. In the process of creating feature films, I do lots of rendering. These pesky, little render files add up quite significantly. So here's the secret: I went in to my Final Cut "Scratch -> Render Files" folder, highlighted all of the render folders for finished videos, clicked "Move to Trash", and automatically gained almost 400 GB of my life back. It was like coming across extra health packs in Halo. I figure if I need to access these completed projects again, I can hit render, sit back and sip my coffee, and get right back to where I started. Was this a smart move? Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment