Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nice Package

I love learning how the business world works and can get lost for days in learning about branding and marketing! This type of getting lost is a good thing, unlike the time I found myself in the California mountains at dusk...alone...and geared up like a pack mule, unable to outrun even the oldest and lamest of mountain lions. Getting lost in business learning helped me establish my branding, and once I did, everything else seemed to fall into place. Next up on the list was to tackle packaging. Just how do I relay my hopes for each couple as they watch their film and keep it consistent with my style?

Other people are incredible inspirations when they're willing to share what they've learned along the way. So I went were inspiration and free advice is readily available: the interwebs. I spent time I should have been working (or sleeping) scouring blogs and Pinterest to gather ideas on my "Nice Package" board. But, you know how that goes. Given enough time clicking through links, and I somehow found myself looking at old images of trapeze artists and looking to see if there were still any operational drive-in movie theatres in Ohio. Talk about a rabbit trail. For my color inspiration, I also spent sleeping hours visiting Design Seeds. I think I dreamt in the most vivid colors those nights.

I thought about what I want my clients to experience when they first watch their wedding film. They've waited as I chipped away at hours of footage to create just the story with them in mind. With this anticipation, I want them to open a bottle of champagne, pop some popcorn, cozy up on the sofa together, and sit under the flicker of the big screen. I would love to recreate the feeling of an old school drive-in movie for my couples, but short of building my own here in town (or renting the one remaining drive-in in Columbus - yes, folks, there is ONE left!), here's what I came up with instead:



I would like to share all the information for those interested in where I got all the parts/pieces. The popcorn is very tasty and ordered from Amish Country Popcorn (for those in central Ohio, it's also available at the Anderson's). The tins and mustard colored box are both ordered from Papermart. The ribbon and twine from dear ol' JoAnn's. Business cards were designed at home in Adobe Illustrator and ordered from Overnight Prints. All of the printed material has been designed and printed at home (including the tin labels) using extra paper from when we made our wedding invitations. The paper shavings are my way of recycling. I stain my junk mail with instant coffee, dry it in the summer sun, then shred it to oblivion using our handy paper shredder. Wrap it all up pretty with some twine, and I'm good to go for now.



Now my couples can have their popcorn and eat it too, although the idea of a small drive-in has not escaped my brain waves. I'm pretty pleased with this first round and would love any thoughts on things you've put together for your business. Remember, it's all about being inspired from each other. So please, inspire me!

5 comments:

  1. Looks nice. I guess my only question would be why you changed the color of your logotype on various pieces? The cover and little note are orange, but the piece on the tin is green—just wondering if there was a system to it? That's a nit-picky designer thing, but I love the feeling you're trying to evoke with the packaging! Have you checked out http://www.thedieline.com/? The best of the best as far as packaging goes is there :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mikaila! Those are just the thoughts I need. The only reason for the color difference is that I really wanted an accent color that would "pop" (the orange), but wasn't sure how to incorporate it. My logo on the website and business cards are green. Should I keep the tin labels green too and add orange in somewhere else instead? Thanks for the website link too! Great stuff on there =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a pro when it comes to designing, but I think it looks good! And I'm super excited to see what you do with the footage from our wedding :-)

    p.s. Ben and I have been to a drive-in movie theatre outside of Kenton, OH a few times. It definitely has that "old-school" feel you're talking about and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leigh, stumbled hear from Facebook and just wanted to say how awesome I think your packaging is! You're so creative and I think those are the sorts of things that add that extra "touch" that will keep people coming back.

    Hope all is well!
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again for your thoughts! I may have to make a field trip up to Kenton for some fun movie-watching. The packaging is an "in progress" thing, so I'm glad to hear I have a decent start =)

    ReplyDelete